Thursday, October 9, 2008

Procrastinating In The Library

I am doing a speech on Gun Control this next week and I thought I could share a few thoughts. Gun Control is a major issue- one that I believe everyone should have an educated opinion on and not just a mindless opinion based on fears of what people either do not know or understand. The 2nd Amendment protects the ownership of guns. The decision to be made is do we control and regulate guns and is that an infringement of our rights the 2nd Amendment protects?

What Is Gun Control?
I. Limiting ownership and use of guns is a priority.
II. The biggest component of the Gun Control debate is whether existing gun laws are sufficient, or whether more gun laws are needed.


Guns definitely fuel crime. It’s a Fact. Or is it? Do Guns Really CAUSE crime like liberal media tells us?
I believe that the general premise of Gun Control is good, however the implementation of Gun Control Beliefs are wrong. What I mean by that is I believe that Gun Control is needed somewhat since it’s a fact that gun’s are used in crimes. However, It’s a foolish mistake to believe that Gun’s are solely responsible for violence. As Christians we understand that men are sinful, therefore no matter what type of weapon they have, they will still have anger and hate between each other. Simply removing one type of weapon will not remove the sin that plagues our race. Therefore, if we make 90 more laws regulating guns, people will still commit crime and criminals will still be able to acquire guns. It has been said that inspite of gun control measures, guns are too readily available. The Availability of guns have caused tragedies such as school shootings. Think back 50+ years ago. You could by a gun at a hardware store, gas station and variety stores. There was no waiting, no background check, no registration- and yet there were no school shootings. Now after hearing that, tell me guns are responsible for violence!

So Honestly, I think the only thing we can do on this issue is help prevent accidents involving guns. Accidents are easy to prevent. Perhaps instead of Gun CONTROL we can promote Gun Safety and training. In the end it comes down to individual responsibilities and choices.

As I said, I believe some gun Control is good. I believe that felons and those that have subsequently shown that they cannot handle the responsibility of gun ownership should not be allowed to own one. However, as a law-abiding citizen I should not lose freedoms because of the stupidities of an irresponsible few.
Gun’s are a necessary part of our countries freedoms. Although the issue of gun control is complex, I think the answer is clear. Removing guns from this country would be like putting a dirty band aid on the issue. It may stick, but it certainly wont be fixing the problem- It will make it worse.

Here is an amazing list of 40 things you must believe to beleive in Gun Control.

No comments: